4 mm scale models
Currently Browsing: British Railways

British Rail Departmental Test Coach Iris

Iris was originally built as a two-car Derby Lightweight DMU in 1954 and was later converted into two single cars for use on the Buckingham branch. It was used by the R&DD for radio survey work and also general testing and was originally painted in the Division’s red and blue livery and designated ‘Test Coach Iris ‘. In its later years the unit was re-painted into BR green and carried both...

British Rail Departmental Test Unit Gemini

Gemini was originally built as a two-car Derby Lightweight Battery EMU in 1958. After being withdrawn from service in 1966 and put in storage, it was transferred to departmental use as test train “Gemini” (or Lab 16) for use at the Railway Technical Centre, at Derby. It lasted in this role until it was withdrawn in 1984,.   Kit : Finished Kit : Ready to Run...

18100 Co-Co Metropolitan-Vickers Gas Turbine

18100 was originally ordered by the GWR in 1940’s , but construction was delayed due to World War II. This prototype mainline gas turbine locomotive was eventually built for British Railways in 1951 by Metropolitan Vickers, Manchester.  It spent its working life on the Western Region, operating express passenger services from London Paddington.  It was of Co-Co wheel arrangement and its gas turbine was...

Class 89 Co-Co British Rail Crewe

The Class 89 was a prototype design for an electric locomotive. Only one unit was built, no. 89001, which was officially named Avocet by the then Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher on 16 January 1989 at Sandy, Bedfordshire – the home of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (whose logo is an Avocet). It was built in 1986, by BREL at their Crewe Works, and was used on test-trains on both the West Coast...

E1000 / E2001 A1A-A1A Metropolitan Vickers

After sitting for some time in storage at their Dukinfield Works, gas turbine loco 18100 was converted to an experimental 25kV AC locomotive E1000. Work commenced in January 1958. The conversion of E18100 involved the removal of the gas turbine unit, generator and the middle traction motor from each bogie, which changed the locomotive from a Co-Co to an A1A-A1A wheel arrangement. The necessary electrical equipment...

D0260 Lion Co-Co Brush/Sulzer/BRC&W

D0260, named Lion, was a prototype Type 4 mainline diesel locomotive built in 1962 by the Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Company, in association with Sulzer and Associated Electrical Industries, at their Smethwick works in Birmingham to demonstrate their wares to British Railways. The locomotive’s number was derived from its works number, DEL260. Kit : Finished Kit : Ready to Run...

Next Entries »

Powered by WordPress | Designed by Elegant Themes