Originally built for IÉ and designated 201 Class were manufactured by Metropolitan Vickers at Dukinfield Works, Manchester. They were delivered to IÉ during 1957 and 1958, and were intended for mixed traffic use on branch lines. Unfortunately, they suffered badly from the unreliability of their Crossley engines, which were underpowered even when they did work. A permanent solution was found by converting the entire class with General Motors engines from 1969.
After withdrawal from IÉ, six locomotives were sold to Northern Ireland Railways and were classified 104 Class. 216 > 104, 218 > 105, 227 > 106, 228 > 107, 230 > 108 & 234 > 109. They entered traffic for NIR in 1986-1987, except 105. Originally IÉ 224 was intended to become 105, but it was rejected by NIR and replaced by 218, which only entered traffic in 1991. 224 was left stored on NIR until it was scrapped in January 1996.
Some had very short lives working for their new owners and were stored as soon as any problems arose. The whole class was formally withdrawn in 1993 (107/109) or 1995.
Kit comprises single piece resin bodyshell and ancillary parts
To complete requires :
- Suitable chassis (Hornby Class 25 / 29 / 73 recommended)